Joseph E. Hill Early Childhood Center History
Joseph E. Hill
The JEH Education Center is named for Joseph E. Hill, Superintendent of District 65 from 1975-81. Hill attended Foster Elementary School, where he returned to begin his career as a physical education teacher. He would later serve as that school's first Black principal. He advanced to become Evanston's first Black superintendent of schools (1975), then the first Black central officer administrator. Hill took part in efforts to desegregate Evanston's schools and to build bridges between Black and White students in Evanston. In addition to being a positive role model, Hill was also known for his beautiful singing voice and his talents as a chef.
The D65 School History project is the result of a partnership with Evanston History Center. This research was completed by the Evanston History Center.
School History
Interested in the history of other District 65 schools?
Chute Middle School, originally named Oscar M. Chute Junior High, opened in 1966.
Dawes School is named after U.S. Vice President General Charles G. Dawes.
Dewey Elementary School was the first school in Evanston to have a kindergarten.
In 2004 Dr. Bessie Rhodes became the first Black woman to have a school named after her in Evanston.
The original King Lab was located in what is now Family Focus.
Ellen Foster, the first principal, viewed the school as a community hub.
Haven Middle School was initially built to serve students from two school districts.
Joseph E. Hill became Evanston's first Black superintendent of schools in 1975.
Namesake Homer Kingsley started the first Evanston public school kindergarten in 1882.
In the 1890s, children voted to name their new school "Lincoln" after the U.S. President.
The name incorporates nearby geographical features: Lincoln Street and a wooded area.
Frederick Nichols worked closely with the architect to create a school full of treasures.
Oakton is home to murals created by the Works Progress Administration in the 1930s.
Orrington's site was previously home to a Potawatomi village and burial ground.
The predecessor to Park School was established in 1949 by a group of parents.
The school was named after Chicago-area philanthropists Daniel and Ada Rice.
Walker opened to address rising enrollment due to the baby boom generation.
The yellow brick building on the corner of Main and Ashland is the original school.
The school was named after world-renowned social reformer Frances Willard.
